[Mimedefang] Embedded Perl problems

Josh Kelley josh at jbc.edu
Fri Mar 19 18:14:38 EST 2004

I'm trying to get the multiplexor's embedded Perl mode to work, since
messages on the mailing list indicated that it would save a lot of
memory, and our mail server (running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3) is a
bit limited on memory.

First, a minor point:  it doesn't seem to be helping the memory usage
any.  I'd read on the list that embedded Perl mode should cause the
"shared" column of top to be much higher, but it seems to be about the
same as in non-embedded mode.

Second, a major point: when I enable embedded mode, slaves apparently
tend to become busy and never report that they're done.  Slaves will
still sometimes work, so some mail goes through - I haven't been able to
figure out why things sometimes work and sometimes don't.  Eventually,
though, all of the slaves become busy, up to MX_MAXIMUM.

Any idea what might be causing this?  Any suggestions on how I could
track down the problem?

Thanks.

Josh Kelley