[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang crashing regularly

Cormack, Ken kcormack at acs.roadway.com
Wed Mar 17 13:59:09 EST 2004

Aaron,

This is exactly the type of output I was hoping to see.  Now, since you were
perhaps unaware of the existance of "mailstats", I will assume that these
numbers are a running total since "day 1".

What you need to do, in order to see your daily average mail flow, is find
the statistics file, and then truncate it.  You can find it this way:

	# grep statistics sendmail.cf
	O StatusFile=/etc/mail/statistics

Next, truncate the file to reset the counters to zero:

	# cd /etc/mail
	> statistics

Finally, run mailstats again, in 24 hours.  That will show you the traffic
flow since the last time the statistics file was truncated.

set up a cron task to nightly run the mailstats command and email you the
output.  Immediately after the crontask emails the output, have the cron
task truncate the file.  Do this every day for a week and then average the
numbers.  You'll then be able to accurately determine exactly what your mail
volume is (both the number of messages, and the total size of those
messages).  In other words, you'll know if you're seeing one million
messages 100-bytes each, or one hundred messages 1,000,000-bytes each.
You'll be able to calculate average message size, and so on.

With that understanding, you'll then have the information you need to
properly scale and tune your box.

KEN CORMACK, RHCE
Sr. UNIX Systems Analyst,
    Open Systems Group