[Mimedefang]Localhost Messages Cause 'reject=451 4.7.1 Please try again later'

Chris Myers chris at by-design.net
Wed Mar 17 12:51:39 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Granat" <jason at akota.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang]Localhost Messages Cause 'reject=451 4.7.1 Please
try again later'

> One thing I noticed.  Small root messages get through fine.  It looks
> like it's only erroring on large messages.  The culprit messages are
> ~17M.  I know there was a place for setting max mail message size, but I
> can't remember or find where.  Can someone point me in the right
direction?

Is there any chance that you're running SpamAssassin on those large
messages?  That could cause the problems you're seeing.

***

You can set the maximum mail message size in the sendmail configuration
file.

The variable you need to define is confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE.

    confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE MaxMessageSize [infinite] The maximum size of
messages that will be accepted (in bytes).

The exact line you would put in your sendmail.mc file is:

    define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `10000000')dnl

How you turn your .mc file into a .cf file is system dependent.  I leave
that as an exercise for the reader.

Chris Myers
Networks By Design