[Mimedefang] mount noatime (was: ramdisks on Linux)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Mar 17 04:09:08 EST 2004

--On Tuesday, March 16, 2004 5:09 PM -0600 Chris Myers
<chris at by-design.net> wrote:

> Mount your disks with the "noatime" option to cut down on largely useless
> disk writes.

Good idea on a highly-loaded mail-only server.

This does have the drawback that you can't easily see when your spools have
been popped, and you have to resort to parsing your POP server's logs for
that. I've been using "ls -lut" to see which users don't collect their
mail, usually a sign of someone leaving the company and HR forgetting to
tell me about it.

OTOH, I do remount my disks noatime when verifying my backup tapes, to keep
from losing the info about which users aren't popping their mail.

There are of course other cases where it's nice to know when files aren't
being read.