[Mimedefang] Getting started with MIMEDefang

Fred mimedefang at freddyt.com
Tue Mar 16 22:11:28 EST 2004

Jason Williams wrote:
> Hello everyone.

Hello!

> I recently started working with MIMEDefang here. I've been able to get the
> default setup working 'out of the box' sort a speak, but I was looking to
> build upon what I currently have.

I am doing exactly the same as you are.

> Setup:
>
> FreeBSD 4.9
> Sendmail 8.12.11 (built from Ports tree)
> MIMEDefang 2.39 (built from ports)

This is the same here again, however 2.41 is released now, it's easy to
install over your current setup.
(since you installed the ports version of MD 2.39, you can install the
source version of 2.41 and everything will work fine)
You didn't mention your perl version?  I installed 5.6.1 (hearing of many of
my favorite programs requiring this or newer).

> Basically, after building both sendmail and MIMEDefang from the ports
tree,
> making a few adjustments to sendmail, MIMEDefang was working. It was
> stripping off attachments like it should, which is great. However, im
> looking to expand upon this using both ClamAV as well as SpamAssassin.

I took this same approach, ClamAV can be a little trouble installing, it
requires a lot of additional requirements.  Once you get past that, it seems
to do the job great for us.  It all depends on how you install (ports vs.
source).

> Granted, I am new to MIMEDefang and I am by no means, a Perl expert, but I
> can get by.

Sounds like me again, show me some code and I can tweak it all night ;)  Two
weeks ago I never seen FreeBSD before, today I am using it for inbound mail
relays.

> First thing I wanted to ask was in regards to ClamAV. I see that I can use
> both CLAMD and CLAMAV and wanted to see if there was a recommendation on
> one of this. Is one better than the other, or will with they both work?

Being only 2 weeks into this project, I seem to understand clamd is a daemon
version of clamav.
With 2.4x of MIMEDefang, it uses multiple virus scanners if they are
installed, but does this apply to
clamav & clamd?  Will it use one if the other fails?  Hopefully someone else
can clear this bit up for both of us.

> Secondly, is concerned with having MIMEDefang call the virus scanner. I
was
> reading through mimedefang-filter, and see the sections that you can
> specify the scanner. Do I need to do anything to the list, like possibly
> move clamav to the top, or possibly remove the other entries for the virus
> scanners?

Improvements in 2.4x versions use all virus scanners by default.  I'm not
sure how this works with clamd & clamav (clamscan?).

> I'll stop right there for the time being. I want to make sure I can get
> MIMEDefang working first with the AV scanner, and then i'll proceed on to
SA.

I'll try and help as much as I can, now that I am able to understand this
program, I would like to help others do the same.  Blocking during the SMTP
session is the answer to all my problems and I am so greatful this program
allows me to do that!  Thank you to those in charge of development!

I have a graph of our e-mail traffic on the bottom of our homepage (in my
sig).

Frederic Tarasevicius
Internet Information Services, Inc.
http://www.i-is.com/