[Mimedefang]Localhost Messages Cause 'reject=451 4.7.1 Please try again later'

Paul freebsd at pksnet.com
Tue Mar 16 21:05:17 EST 2004

>Watching /var/log/maillog I see everytime a message comes to
>root at mydomain.com with relay 127.0.0.1 there is an error:  'reject=451
>4.7.1 Please try again later' and MIMEDeFang times out.  What causes
>this and how do I fix it?

Check your maillog (/var/log/maillog in my case on FreeBSD) I get them now and then, mostly it means MD has crashed. Stopping it and sendmail, waiting a minute and restarting them generally solves the problem. Not quiet sure what causes the crash, but it's not very often on my box. Generally seems to happen when some ^#%#% tries to deliver a spam that may have very screwed up headers. Haven't been able to intercept one of those though...

Hope this helps

Paul