[Mimedefang] ramdisks on Linux

Tim Pushor timp at crossthread.com
Tue Mar 16 16:57:38 EST 2004

Aaron Paetznick wrote:

> It's become obvious that using ramdisks with MIMEDefang is very
> important.  This might be a strange/silly question, but if I wanted to
> use a ramdisk for both the sendmail mqueue and the MIMEDefang work
> directory, would it be better to use two smaller, or one large
> ramdisk?  Does using two separate ramdisks give the same performance
> benefit as using two separate physical disks?

I don't think you will want to use a ramdisk for the sendmail queue. If
you lose power or have to reboot your system, you will lose mail.

> Also, does the speed of the RAM and memory controller directly affect
> the speed of the ramdisk?  For instance, would a ramdisk on an Intel
> 7501 based machine running dual-channel DDR266 be slower than a
> ramdisk on an AMD Opteron 246 based machine (with an on-chip memory
> controller) using dual-channel DDR400?

Since the disk will be in memory, memory performance should make an
impact. How much difference though I'm not sure. Probably a lot less
difference than going from a disk based work directory to a ramdisk
though ..

Tim