[Mimedefang] Getting started with MIMEDefang

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue Mar 16 16:30:28 EST 2004

Hello everyone.

I recently started working with MIMEDefang here. I've been able to get the
default setup working 'out of the box' sort a speak, but I was looking to
build upon what I currently have.

Setup:

FreeBSD 4.9
Sendmail 8.12.11 (built from Ports tree)
MIMEDefang 2.39 (built from ports)

Basically, after building both sendmail and MIMEDefang from the ports tree,
making a few adjustments to sendmail, MIMEDefang was working. It was
stripping off attachments like it should, which is great. However, im
looking to expand upon this using both ClamAV as well as SpamAssassin.

Granted, I am new to MIMEDefang and I am by no means, a Perl expert, but I
can get by.

First thing I wanted to ask was in regards to ClamAV. I see that I can use
both CLAMD and CLAMAV and wanted to see if there was a recommendation on
one of this. Is one better than the other, or will with they both work?
Secondly, is concerned with having MIMEDefang call the virus scanner. I was
reading through mimedefang-filter, and see the sections that you can
specify the scanner. Do I need to do anything to the list, like possibly
move clamav to the top, or possibly remove the other entries for the virus
scanners?

I'll stop right there for the time being. I want to make sure I can get
MIMEDefang working first with the AV scanner, and then i'll proceed on to SA.

I appreciate the help and look forward to responses.

Best,

Jason