[Mimedefang] MD I/O intensive?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Mar 16 11:35:21 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 08:39, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> > I read somewhere that reiserfs is faster then ext3 on small file
> > deletion/creation.
> > Typical mail load.
> > On a high load site, would type of file system really matter?
>
> The testing in "sendmail Performance Tuning" indicates that ext3 is
> faster. Even ext2 is faster than Reiser.  See section 3.3.3, pgs. 42-43.

That doesn't mesh with anything I've seen.  The directories where the
file creation/deletion happened must have been tiny so the overhead
from reiser indexing was more than the linear scan with the inode locked
that you get with ext*.  If you accumulate more than a few hundred
files in a single directory (queues, quarantine dir, maildirs, etc.)
reiserfs will be faster.  There is a benchmark program here:
http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3022.html  that attempts to
simulate mail handling.

---
  Les Mikesell