[Mimedefang] MD I/O intensive?

Andrew J Caird Andrew.Caird at fccc.edu
Tue Mar 16 09:56:12 EST 2004

Quoting WBrown at e1b.org:

> mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 03/15/2004 06:11:14
> PM:
>
> > I read somewhere that reiserfs is faster then ext3 on small file
> > deletion/creation. Typical mail load.
> > On a high load site, would type of file system really matter?
>
> The testing in "sendmail Performance Tuning" indicates that ext3 is
> faster. Even ext2 is faster than Reiser.  See section 3.3.3, pgs. 42-43.

  I can't say enough about this book, it's very dense, but worth reading
  a couple of times.  Anyone running high-performance email systems would
  be well served by reading it.

  The other thing to keep in mind is that there is more to filesystems
  than speed when it comes to email - they also have to be reliable and
  be able to insure message storage.  Of course, for MD's temp space the
  opposite is true - message persistance (beyond a few seconds) isn't
  important and speed is all that matters.  See Christenson's book for
  a more educated discussion of these issues.
--
Andrew Caird