[Mimedefang] MD I/O intensive?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Mar 15 17:27:47 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Aaron Paetznick wrote:

> Ok I have a silly question then.  Why doesn't MIMEDefang have a runtime
> option to use shared memory or some other more intrinsic method?  Surely
> a ram disk is a functional but inelegant solution.

Because all the add-ons (virus scanners, Perl modules, ...) expect to
be handed a file.  (At the very least, *everything* works if handed a
file -- it's the least common denominator.)  While MIME::tools itself
is perfectly happy to store decoded parts into memory, you'd have to
modify all the other tools to work together with it.

A ramdisk is much simpler and more portable.  (Creating a ramdisk is
not portable, of course, but using one is.)