[Mimedefang] MD I/O intensive?

Aaron Paetznick aaronp at critd.com
Mon Mar 15 13:52:19 EST 2004

I'm assembling several front-end MIMEDefang filter servers.  These
machines will be used to filter incoming email and pass it along to our
mailstore.  They will be under extremely heavy load.  I'm wondering how
I/O intensive the Sendmail/MIMEDefang combination is in a setup like
this.  I would also be using File::Scan and clamd.

Could I get by with SATA drives, or should I go all out and get the 15K
SCSI models?  If I skimp on the drives I might be able to get a second
whole machine.  When used in this configuration, will CPU, memory, or
I/O be the bottleneck?

Thanks.

--Aaron