[Mimedefang] W32/Bagle.p at MM spreading as rar

Paul Whittney pwhittney at net.bacconsulting.com
Mon Mar 15 13:33:28 EST 2004

>From the sys adminpoint of view: The only way to be sure is to educate
your users.

* Don't open any attachment if you were not expecting one,
* If its a zip or rar file, verify that the sender sent it,
* If unsure ask a sysadmin for help

Hey, maybe I should add an inline warning with the above info in for all
internal users, if a zip or rar file should come in. You could put a
nice notice, telephone number, and URL's for more info into it, in the
chance that they might read it

MIMEDefang does a great job, with or without SA hooks, but it can't do
your job for you.

I've had enough problems with "So, well.. I ran this zip file from
such and such, yes it needed a password, but they sent that, and now my
computer is running really slow... hey, why did you unplug my network
cable?". Whats next? The .txt file that you have to rename to .exe, then
double click it?

-Paul Whittney