[Mimedefang] Check this X-header out

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Mon Mar 15 10:59:17 EST 2004

I'll edit my rules...

Thanks!

  -Ben

David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Ben Kamen wrote:
>

>>Has anyone else seen this - I just looked at a spam and saw:

> ..etc..
>
> This is Habeas's idea to allow "legitimate" bulk e-mail through.  Basically:
>
> - Habeas copyrights a Haiku.
> - Habeas licenses the Haiku to "legitimate" e-mail senders.
> - Habeas convinces anti-spam vendors to permit mail with the Haiku in it
>   to pass.  In SpamAssassin, this is the HABEAS_SWE rule, with a default
>   score of -8.0
> - If spammers abuse the Habeas mark, Habeas sues for copyright violation.
>
> Unfortunately, in my experience, spammers _do_ abuse the Habeas mark, so
> I've nuked the HABEAS_SWE score down to zero.  Sorry, Habeas; nice idea,
> but criminals who think nothing of taking over armies of computers to
> send spam are unlikely to be perturbed by copyright violation.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

Ben Kamen - O.D.T, S.P.
Home: ben at benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net
Work: bkamen at uiuc.edu
gPG Pub Key - http://www.benjammin.net/www/pages/library

* NOTE: Opinions and Views discussed via email are my own and not that  *
* of the State of Illinois, University of Illinois or the Illinois Dept *
* of Natural Resources.                                                 *