[Mimedefang] newlines for spam report

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Mon Mar 15 10:59:21 EST 2004

> In mimedefang-filter, filter_end() has one line to generate
> spam report, and the report shows okay if it is an attachment
> with spam. However, I move it to its message header section, like:
>
> action_change_header( "X-Spam-Report", "$report\n" );
>
> The newlines do not work, everything goes into one line. Any
> suggestion?

Per RFC822:

    3.1.2.  STRUCTURE OF HEADER FIELDS

        Once a field has been unfolded, it may be viewed as being com-
        posed of a field-name followed by a colon (":"), followed by a
        field-body, and  terminated  by  a  carriage-return/line-feed.
        The  field-name must be composed of printable ASCII characters
        (i.e., characters that  have  values  between  33.  and  126.,
        decimal, except colon).  The field-body may be composed of any
        ASCII characters, except CR or LF.  (While CR and/or LF may be
        present  in the actual text, they are removed by the action of
        unfolding the field.)

It breaks the standard, so your mail system will strip it out.

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics