[Mimedefang] Check this X-header out

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Mar 15 10:54:27 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Ben Kamen wrote:

> Has anyone else seen this - I just looked at a spam and saw:

..etc..

This is Habeas's idea to allow "legitimate" bulk e-mail through.  Basically:

- Habeas copyrights a Haiku.
- Habeas licenses the Haiku to "legitimate" e-mail senders.
- Habeas convinces anti-spam vendors to permit mail with the Haiku in it
  to pass.  In SpamAssassin, this is the HABEAS_SWE rule, with a default
  score of -8.0
- If spammers abuse the Habeas mark, Habeas sues for copyright violation.

Unfortunately, in my experience, spammers _do_ abuse the Habeas mark, so
I've nuked the HABEAS_SWE score down to zero.  Sorry, Habeas; nice idea,
but criminals who think nothing of taking over armies of computers to
send spam are unlikely to be perturbed by copyright violation.