[Mimedefang] Ram based directory on FreeBSD 5.2x

Wesley Peters wpeters at stbernard.com
Wed Mar 10 20:40:06 EST 2004

On Tuesday, March 09, 2004 2:08 PM, J.D. Bronson <mailto:jbronson at wixb.com> alleged:

> At 03:34 PM 3/9/2004, you wrote:
>
>>> I tried setting the perms like this:
>>>
>>> drwx------   2 defang  defang    512 Mar  9 08:36 MIMEDefang
>>>
>> Okay glad you said something, heres a little more detail. Perhaps this
>> has something to do with it
>>
>> from fstab:
>> /dev/da0s2b             /var/spool/MIMEDefang   mfs rw,-s1048576,noasync
>> 0       0
>
> I think this might be different on FreeBSD 5.x ???
> Are you running 5.x? - if you are running 4.x - then this is why it works
> for you....
>

>> from ls -la /var/spool | grep MIMEDefang
>> drwx------     2 mailnull  wheel      512 Mar  9 15:39 MIMEDefang
>>
>>> ok...now I mount it:
>>>
>>> drwxrwxrwt   3 root    wheel     512 Mar  9 13:36 MIMEDefang
>>
>> I got a feeling that the extra switches may have something to do with it.

OK, I looked at the 'mdmfs' code on 5.2 and found that:

1) When called as 'mount_mfs', as is done when processing fstab, it is
   run in 'compatibility' mode.

2) Compatibility mode disables the option to specify the owner and group.

3) The permissions under compatibility mode are fixed at 01777.  This is
   generally what you want for a TMP directory.

Do you need more than this?  There's a better (more 5.x-ish) way to do
this; but it needs a starter script in /etc/rc.d and a configuration
knob in /etc/rc.conf.  I'll look into that, but you wouldn't see such
a feature in a "release" version until 5.3.

	-- Wes