[Mimedefang] starting on freebsd 5.2.1

Wesley Peters wpeters at stbernard.com
Tue Mar 9 13:34:05 EST 2004

On Tuesday, March 09, 2004 8:54 AM, Royce Williams <mailto:royce.williams at acsalaska.net> alleged:

> J.D. Bronson wrote:
>
>> I was wondering (yet another newbie question here) how people
>> started mimedefang on freebsd 5.2.x ?
>
> The new rc stuff -- dubbed "rcNG" -- is supposed to allow you
> to control
> start order.  "man rc.subr" and "man rcorder" on a recent 5.x
> box.  You
> can use keywords like "REQUIRE" and "BEFORE" to dictate the logical
> ordering that you want.  It requires a little work to get it going, but
> more and more of the ports are switching over to using this method.
>
> -royce

The ports/local startup directory hasn't been integrated into the
new rcorder system (yet).  The local startups are run by
/etc/rc.d/localpkg, which happens after sendmail in the default
ordering.  You can easily change this by editing /etc/rc.d/sendmail
and change the

	# REQUIRE: LOGIN

to read:

	# REQUIRE: LOGIN localpkg

This will run sendmail after *everything* in /usr/local/etc/rc.d,
which is probably OK.  You can verify the order with the same
command used in /etc/rc to start the subsystems:

	# rcorder -k FreeBSD -s nostart /etc/rc.d/* 2>/dev/null

The original ordering shows, near the bottom of the list:

	/etc/rc.d/sshd
	/etc/rc.d/sendmail
	/etc/rc.d/archdep
	/etc/rc.d/abi
	/etc/rc.d/cron
	/etc/rc.d/devfs
	/etc/rc.d/jail
	/etc/rc.d/localpkg
	/etc/rc.d/netoptions

The above edit pushes sendmail to immediately after localpkg:

	/etc/rc.d/archdep
	/etc/rc.d/abi
	/etc/rc.d/localpkg
	/etc/rc.d/sendmail
	/etc/rc.d/cron

The local and X11 rc.d directories will be integrated into the
rcorder system as soon as a majority of the really common server
ports have been fixed to include the PROVIDE and REQUIRE comments
in the rc scripts, or as soon as someone comes up with a clever
way to note all the scripts that don't show up in rcorder and
arrange to run them as well.  Help is always appreciated.  ;^)

	Wes, aka wes at freebsd.org

--

Wes Peters <wpeters at stbernard.com>
Sr. Software Engineer, St. Bernard Software