[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang as a mail gateway...?

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue Mar 9 13:11:41 EST 2004

Hello and thanks for everyone's reply.

>We're currently running exactly the same on five boxes in a farm setup.
>Not counting the mail we reject at the sendmail level, we pass something
>on the order of 1M messages/day off to the back end mail servers.

Sounds like a pretty spiffy setup.

>We've been very happy.  Using FreeBSD's ports tree to keep current with
>with p5-Mail-SpamAssassin, p5-File-Scan, clamav, and the ports version
>of sendmail has made it very easy to stay current with little downtime
>and low maintenance overhead.  Also, the defaults for clamav and
>SpamAssassin are adjusted slightly by the porter to be reasonable for
>a FreeBSD box in a more-than-low-volume environment.

Gotta love the ports tree. I have read that clamav works quite well with
MIMEDefang and plan on using it with my setup.

>I do recommend using the ports version of sendmail -- easier to upgrade
>when a sendmail vulnerability is announced, and very well maintained by
>the same core FreeBSD folks that integrate sendmail into the stock
>install.  It's a little tricky to set up (the doc for the port tells you
>what to do) but it's hands-off after the initial setup.

I have considered upgrading sendmail via the ports tree, but i've been
unable to 'successfully' do it correctly. :) Not sure what exactly im doing
wrong, and most people i've talked to cringe when I mention it. Maybe we
could discuss that process at another time. I'd at least like to try it.

>Note that we're not yet on MIMEDefang 2.40 -- the ports tree hasn't
>absorbed it yet.  Around the time that they update the port is around
>the time that I'm comfortable with most new things anyway, but YMMV.

I'll keep that in mind. :)

>-royce

I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,