[Mimedefang] OT: Blocking because of MX to 127.0.0.1

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Tue Mar 9 10:27:11 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 03/09/2004 09:57:01
AM:

> One of the US ISP (Ameritech - now SBC) blocks mail if one of the MX
records
> points to 127.0.0.1 (which as you know, some people do to have fun with
the
> spammers who get blocked at the primary mail hub - so they send themto
la la
> land on the next preference record up the stack.)
>
> I can't email anyone at SBC as the mail bounces back because my
> lowest pref MX
> record points to localhost.
>
> Has anyone else seen ISP's who block because of this?
>
> Are they being stupid or am I?

They aren't being that stupid.  We got hammered a while ago by a message
that had the same setup.  It couldnt be delivered to the intended
recipient, so we tried to return it.  The return path had 127.0.0.1 as its
lowest MX record, so it kept looping. This is more of a DoS than spam.

Our solution was to block incoming connections from 127.0.0.1 on the
servers.  Is there ever a need to accept TCP connections from localhost
for mail?