[Mimedefang] perl runtime flags

Josh Kelley josh at jbc.edu
Tue Mar 9 10:24:16 EST 2004

Chris Masters wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm trying to debug some of my filter code and I'm
>getting a lot of warnings to stderr that are
>redirected to syslog - which is fine.
>
>The main errors I'm getting are to do with bitwise
>operators and byte arrays. I can't reproduce these
>errors when running the same code outside of
>MIMEDefang.
>
>So, what warning flags is MIMEDefang run with (looks
>like it's just -w in the process list)? We're running
>with non-embedded mode.

The -w flag to Perl enables the warnings that you're seeing.  You can
add " -w" to the "#!/usr/bin/perl" line of your test stub to have your
test stub print the same errors, or you can add "use warnings;" to the
beginning of your code to have the same effect.

The "ugly hack" way to get rid of these messages is to add "no
warnings;" to your mimedefang-filter to disable the warning messages.

Your use of IO::Socket::INET that you quoted looks okay, so I wouldn't
think that the warnings are coming from there; I'd guess that they might
be coming from wherever you initialize your socket.  But I'm not very
familiar with IO::Socket::INET, and without seeing your code or the
exact warnings, I'm just guessing.

Hope this helps.

Josh Kelley