[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.40 is released

Michal Jankowski Michal.Jankowski at fuw.edu.pl
Mon Mar 8 16:42:14 EST 2004

"David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> writes:

> On balance (at least, this week!), I think it's kinder to the Internet
> to simply discard viruses.  The risk of a false-positive with virus
> detection is very low, much lower than with spam, so I think it's
> reasonably safe.

IMHO, the best solution is to discard when you are sure it's a virus
(*), but to _bounce_ when rejecting bad filename etc. After all, it is
possible someone is trying to send you a legitimate .exe file and
discarding that is _not_ kind.

(*) Unless it's a virus piggybacked atop a real mail message, but I
haven't seen a single virus of that type for quite a long time.

  MJ