[Mimedefang] javascript in html attachments

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Mar 5 15:46:18 EST 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Paul Whittney wrote:

> I don't have the "Authority" to tell the client what they should, and should
> not use (thats a problem in itself ;-). I assume then many people add to the
> bad extensions list
> $bad_exts = ... |htm|html|...;

If you want to block HTML, you need to look at the MIME type, not the
filename, because most HTML "attachments" don't have an associated
file name.

> I'm not sure I have the authority to block all html attachments, as
> people prefer sending them than docs and zips.  (To be honest, I
> shouldn't block anything, but I risk blocking pif, scr, and exe's).

My position on HTML is somewhat extreme. :-)  I think HTML mail should
be banned.  I think that gradually, more and more people will gravitate
to my position as the spam/virus problem intensifies.

> But if you prohibit the sending of normal file attachments, zip
> files (encrypted, or not), how do you advise your
> client/director/friends, to send you that "new important file that
> will make your product work at a client site because some update or
> system broke it in the first place"?

We need a new infrastructure for convenient file transfer.  E-mail wasn't
designed for that.