[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.40 is released

Josh Kelley josh at jbc.edu
Fri Mar 5 14:37:35 EST 2004

David F. Skoll wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Josh Kelley wrote:
>
>>he mimedefang-filter manpage still recommends using action_bounce
>>rather than action_discard.  Is action_bounce no longer recommended?
>>

>Right.  I should fix the man page.

I'm sure that this topic has come up many times on the list before, and
I'm sorry for bringing it up again, but the last time I remember seeing
it discussed here, I thought that the general consensus was that bounce
was better, for roughly the following reasons:

1.  Most mass-mailing viruses are sent directly by the virus, in which
case no one will see any bounces generated.
2.  Bounces will be generated anyway, if a mass-mailed virus is sent to
an invalid email address, so avoiding action_bounce won't stop bounced
viruses.
3.  If the the virus is, for example, a Word macro virus, it shouldn't
be silently dropped.
4.  To summarize, in the man page's words, "It's almost never a good
idea to hide a problem."

Why the change in recommendation?

Again, sorry for rehashing old material.

Josh Kelley