[Mimedefang] Clarification of filter_recipient()

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Fri Mar 5 13:54:07 EST 2004

> From: Jim Hatfield [mailto:subscriber at insignia.com]
> I'm not clear whether filter_recipient() is called once for
> each envelope recipient, or just once. The implication is
> that it's called for each but I'd like to be sure.
> In the following transaction:
>
> mail from:<>
> rcpt to:<jim.hatfield at domain.com>
> rcpt to:<webmaster at domain.com>
> I'd like to be able to reject the second "rcpt to"

You're omitting the server half of the transaction.

CLIENT> mail from:<>
At this point filter_sender (name?) is run on the server
Assuming that this returns an OK, the server sends the following to the
client:
SERVER> 250 2.1.0 <>... Sender ok
CLIENT> rcpt to:<jim.hatfield at domain.com>
At this point filter_recipient() is called for <jim.hatfield at domain.com>
You should return an OK for this call
SERVER> 250 2.1.5 <jim.hatfield at domain.com>... Recipient ok
CLIENT> rcpto to:<webmaster at domain.com>
At this point filter_recipient() is called for <webmaster at domain.com>
You should return a REJECT for this call
SERVER> 550 5.3.0 <webmaster at domain.com>... We don't accept NDR's for this
address