[Mimedefang] About to give up on mimedefang under Redhat Linux 9

Network Guy netguy at sound-networking.com
Fri Mar 5 09:12:02 EST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Steve Pfister wrote:

> I'd really like to get mimedefang working under Redhat Linux 9, but I'm
> about ready to give up. I've tried installing a couple of times, but every
> time I run it, I get
>
> Mar  4 18:30:31 colima mimedefang-multiplexor: Reap: Idle slave 0 (pid
> 21943) exited normally with status 2 (SLAVE DIED UNEXPECTEDLY)
[snip]

Steve, I had this problem also.  Pulled hair, asked group with no
response.  I found that one of the mimedefang glue files was calling the
old perl and after linking the old location to the new everything worked.
I backed up the perl files ( below ) before doing anything...  Please note
that the pathnames are for my system, you may need to do some checking.

This is from memory, you mileage may vary...

old perl -> 5.6.0 /usr/bin/
new perl -. 5.8.2 /usr/local/bin

in the old perl directory :
ln -s /usr/local/bin/perl perl
and
ln -s /usr/local/bin/perl.5.8.2 perl.5.6.0

I think that I screwed up by letting perl install itself where it wanted
and I didn't think about the old versions...  Of course I don't have a
clue what I broke doing that, but the mail server is happy as can be!  I
do remember something about foomatic complaining also after the link fix.

tod