[Mimedefang] Observations on latest crop of zip viruses

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Mar 3 18:04:22 EST 2004

Hi,

I've discovered that greylisting with certain parameters completely
prevents the latest crop of nasty zip viruses.

I have a number of samples that all sent themselves in bursts of 3 within
a few seconds.  Our greylisting parameters include sender address, recipient
address and first 3 octets of sending relay.  Crucially, we also specify
a minimum "quiet time" of two minutes between retries.

This has completely stopped the zip viruses on our box.

Tomorrow, I will release MIMEDefang 2.40-BETA-3 which will have
routines to look inside zip files.

David F. Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>    Roaring Penguin Software Inc.
+1 (613) 231-6599 ext. 100                 http://www.roaringpenguin.com/
For CanIt technical support, please mail: support at roaringpenguin.com