[Mimedefang] survey: dropping password protected file

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Mar 3 16:17:09 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 13:53, James Miller wrote:

> > We just went through the same thing and have told people we will be
> > dropping zip files until we work out a sane way of 'scanning' ones that
> > are bad. Of course the .zip item is already being deprecated by the .txt
> > virii that tell the user in the email to rename the .txt to .zip and
> > open it up and then run the application for security reasons.
> >
> > --
> > Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
>
> We've decided to do the same thing.. Could you share what you did within
> mimedefang to drop them?

At the moment it is just the generic bad file name list and adding .zip
to it. I am hoping to get some time to work with the Archive::Zip method
listed earlier today to work with our filters.. at that point we would
remove it from the generic .zip and use that test to remove it or not.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645