[Mimedefang] survey: dropping password protected file

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Mar 3 16:10:39 EST 2004

--On Wednesday, March 3, 2004 1:11 PM -0600 Michael Sims
<michaels at crye-leike.com> wrote:

> Joseph Brennan wrote:
>> We are currently refusing all mail with zip files.  Amazingly
>> few complaints, from a 50,000-user community.  We don't know yet
>> what the long-term plan will be.  That stops bagle.
>
> We are seriously considering doing the same thing.  It seems to me that
> the virus writers are starting a shift from com|exe|bat|scr|pif to mainly
> zip because they know the former is more likely to be filtered out.  I'm
> getting really tired of fighting the zip virus of the day and am almost
> willing to surrender ZIP land to the viruses for good...

I still feel like unzipping and checking the extensions of the
files contained.  I saved the perl posted here and will try it
when I get a chance.

There are legit reasons to use zip files and I want to preserve
the functionality if we can.  But some of our people lost major
amounts of work by opening NetSky zip files, and we have been
charged with preventing further cases.

The idea of hiring an army of orphans to carry envelopes around
campus has been suggested.  Attach images with paper clips.  It's
sounding better every day, but there is apparently some sort of
limit on child labor that Counsel will have to check on.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York