[Mimedefang] survey: dropping password protected file

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Mar 3 15:28:26 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 12:23, Michal Jankowski wrote:
> "Michael Sims" <michaels at crye-leike.com> writes:
>
> > We are seriously considering doing the same thing.  It seems to me that the
> > virus writers are starting a shift from com|exe|bat|scr|pif to mainly zip
> > because they know the former is more likely to be filtered out.  I'm getting
> > really tired of fighting the zip virus of the day and am almost willing to
> > surrender ZIP land to the viruses for good...
>
> The problem is - we've been refusing com/exe/pif since 2002, but told
> our users to switch to zip archives instead...

We just went through the same thing and have told people we will be
dropping zip files until we work out a sane way of 'scanning' ones that
are bad. Of course the .zip item is already being deprecated by the .txt
virii that tell the user in the email to rename the .txt to .zip and
open it up and then run the application for security reasons.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645