[Mimedefang] Invalid "mimedefang.pl -structure" output andvirus scanning behaviour

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Mar 2 07:26:27 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Lucas Albers wrote:

> To make sure I inderstand this completelly
> Doing an action_rebuild will only change mime messages that are invalid?

No, it rebuilds unconditionally.

> It will break some mime messages for some clients?

Yes.

> How often does this breakage occur?

I have no idea.  I use it, and haven't noticed a problem yet.

> The mydoom virus used invalid mime that would be been fixed if it
> action_rebuild had been done on it?

Well, it would have been rendered harmless.

> Blocking harmful attachment types would have protected from this virus
> irrespective of whether you were rebuilding mime types?

No.  If MIMEDefang can't decode something, it can't recognize a
dangerous filename.  But rebuilding would have left the attachment
as text/plain that would have been rendered as gobbledygook in a MUA.