[Mimedefang] RE: Anti-virus

Peter A. Cole peteracole at bigpond.com
Mon Mar 1 19:47:49 EST 2004

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:05:53 -0600
Alex S Moore <asmoore at edge.net> wrote:

> I am building mimedefang on a host that does not have or need any
> anti-virus software.  When I built the package, I had a message about
> 'virus checking will not be built in' or some such.
>
> However, I use clamav and plan to run that same mimedefang package on my
> host.  Is there really no way for me to use clamav from mimedefang?
>
> Thanks, Alex Moore

Hi Alex, I'm a little confused here.

Do you mean you have two hosts to run mimedefang on? One with clamav and one without?

If so, then the one you want to run mimedefang on with clamav will be fine. I use mimedefang with clamav here, although I run clamd, the daemon version of clamav. I found it easier to get going than clamav due to permissions issues.

Do a search through the archives of this list to find all the info you need about clamav versus clamd. The howto (last time I read it) unfortunately doesn't cover clamd or clamav, but there's plenty of other info around the place in manpages, /usr/share/doc/ etc. to get you going.

Pete