[Mimedefang] Slaves Dying Prematurely

Peter A. Cole peteracole at bigpond.com
Mon Mar 1 17:01:23 EST 2004

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:19:18 -0800
Don <ldaperror at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When I ran into this problem..I used the -l option
> when starting the mimedefang-multiplexor and it gave
> me a more detailed perl error message that allowed me
> to find the offending problem.
>
> You can also test the mimedefang-filter rules by hand
> like this:
>
> /dir_path_to_mimedefang_bin/mimedefang.pl -f
> /dir_path_to_mimedefang_filter/mimedefang-filter -test
>
> but know that will not get the errors you may be
> seeing sometimes, it just checks the syntax of teh
> filter  so as to eliminate that problem.
>
> Note my problem when the slave died prematurely was
> not becuase of an upgrade of perl or modules but
> rather a call to a function that I had removed and
> this passed the syntax checker!
>

> Hope this helps.
> --Don

Thanks Don, I think it did, sort of...

I just went through my mimedefang.conf file and enabled everything to do with logging for the multiplexor, including stats etc. I then created the /var/log/mimedefang directory for the stats, changed owner to defang, and put mimedefang back into sendmail so I could test it.

It has since delivered 3 messages with no problems.

So, it's fixed, but I have no idea why as I did change any filter settings or anything, just log settings. Bizarre.

I wonder if maybe the last time I ran sendmailconfig it stuffed part of the .cf file up or something?

Pete