[Mimedefang] Spamassassin public corpus not scanning

Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr gwen at reptiles.org
Mon Mar 1 15:57:31 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Nels Lindquist wrote:
> AFAIK, if the MIMEDefang header has being added, then milter
> processing has taken place.  Why are you feeding SA's public corpus
> through?  If it's for Bayes training, it'd be better to use sa-learn
> on the commandline.  If you're just trying to verify spamassassin is
> working, try using the GTUBE test.

It's clear that spamassassin is working - I'm trying to figure out why
it's not working as expected ;>  I fed a test of locally composed mail
with both spam and ham in it to the MimeDefang/Spamassassin combo, and
was really annoyed to find that -Mozilla- [via which I'm dealing with the
test mail] has a better hit rate than spamassassin.

This is doubly annoying because in other implementations, I've had very
good hit rates with spamassassisn.

> > I've got the filter timeouts set fairly high:
> >
> > 	T=C:5m;S:5m;R:5m;E:5m
>
> Indeed; the MIMEDefang recommended settings are T=S:60s;R:60s;E:5m.
> Are you seeing any log messages which lead you to believe the filter
> is timing out?  Are you feeding messages through fast enough to
> exhaust the maximum available mimedefang slaves?

I was doing both for a while. It seems that 500 messages in a minute is
enough to cause the combo to choke badly. 1 message every second also has
poor results with the stock timeouts.

> Okay, so some of the messages *are* marked?  In that case, why not
> add a header which includes the SA tests which were triggered by the
> message, regardless of its spam status?  Then you can figure out why
> a particular message isn't marked as spam.

Hrm. Doing that shows that the messages just aren't being picked up as
spam, due to a low value.

Interestingly enough, it looks as though [at least this message] isn't
being picked up by any of the spamassassin versions that I have handy.
Hrm. How annoying.

Time to go muck with spamassassin rules, I suppose.

cheers!