[Mimedefang] Invalid "mimedefang.pl -structure" output and virus scanning behaviour

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Mar 1 14:42:18 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> > Which do you suppose I advocate as the long-term solution? :-)

> Personally, I suggest you offer to support the requests if they purchase
> CanIT.

:-)

Good idea.  But still, the problem remains:  No matter what we do,
there will be some weirdly-malformed MIME that will be innocuous to our
scanners and hazardous to some set of MUAs.

> Though I have a question still about whether you still recommend the
> MIME-tools-5.411a-RP-Patched-02.tar.gz.  You have the bold Use this version!
> but I've seen references to people using newer versions.  What do you
> personally run?

I run 5.411a-RP-Patched-02.  THe 6.x series is labeled as "alpha" and
seems to be unmaintained.  If/when we ever have the bandwidth, we may
take over or rewrite MIME::tools (under the Perl artistic license.)