[Mimedefang] sasldb2 not found

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Wed Jun 30 13:37:05 EDT 2004

On 30 Jun 2004 at 10:37, David Kolar wrote:

> I have followed the Micky Hill HOWTO to the letter. I have come up against a
> wall. I am almost to the end of the Cyrus IMAP installation. I have
> discovered that I do not have the /etc/sasldb2. What program is suppose to
> install this and is it necessary. I have Redhat 9.

Since you're almost to the end of the installation, this may be more
annoying than helpful, but you might want to visit
http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/

Grab the source RPM, "rpmbuild --rebuild cyrus-imapd[...]" and
install the resulting RPMS.  Relatively painless.

Anyway, sasldb2 is actually used by the Cyrus SASL2 authentication
layer which can be used by a variety of services (including SMTP AUTH
in sendmail), not just Cyrus IMAPD.  Depending on what authentication
scheme you're using, you may or may not need it.  For example, if
your sole means of authentication is LOGIN against the shadow
password file, you run saslauthd (appropriately configured) and
sasldb2 isn't required.

If you want more secure authentication mechanisms (eg. CRAM-MD5,
DIGEST-MD5, NTLM, etc.) then you need some sort of password store.
The sasldb2 file is one such.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager