[Mimedefang] Greylisting code, now with mysql Backend

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Wed Jun 30 06:09:37 EDT 2004

Lucas said:
> I'm unsure why you are suffering corruption in your db_file.
> I have been using db_file greylist for month's with never any
> corruption.
> I'm using my implementation of greylisting, but that seems irrelevant, as
> Jonas's implementation is working fine for him.
> Do you have:
> an older version of sa,db_file or bad disks, or high mail load?

On Debian/testing it has serious problems, as I discovered by accident.  Several
others have confirmed that they've had similar problems on other platforms, so
something is not right out there.  The versions are about as current as you can
get, the disks are fine, and the mail load is small.

The symptoms are that incoming messages are continually refused as grey, despite
being seen every ten minutes for the last two days.  After some script
development and extensive testing, I concluded that Perl was correctly tie-ing
the file, correctly updating the hash, and correctly untie-ing the file.
However, the file was unchanged - immediately running a search for the key
failed to find it. At no point does Perl get any hint of an error.

Testing with a new file shows that all is OK, but if I replace the greylist db
with a new file and run for a few weeks, I get the same problem again.

Running a test script which does nothing but add one record and exit works OK,
even if the script is called several thousand times in a loop, though I have yet
to test it with more than 5000 records.  My expectation is that at some point it
will stop adding records, but claim to have successfully done so.  I'll run a
larger test and report back later today.

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741