[Mimedefang] Re: MIMEDefang embedded perl stability issues

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Fri Jun 25 10:38:18 EDT 2004

* Chris Gauch <cgauch at digicon.net>
> I'm on Redhat Linux 9 for the OS, latest kernel, etc. (through RHN
> update). MIMEDefang version is 2.43, Spamassassin 2.63, and ClamAV
> 0.72. This problem was fairly consistent when using the embedded perl
> interpreter, the MD multiplexor would crash at almost the exact same
> time every morning (around 4-5am). I don't encounter the problem when
> I'm not using embedded perl.

That time of morning is when various cron jobs are run by default, such
as those under /etc/cron.{hourly,daily}. I have seen Mandrake and RedHat
systems croak in a variety of entertaining ways due to these cron jobs
when the system is under heavy load or using excessive amounts of RAM
for something.