OT and Annoying: Re: [Mimedefang] grammar nit

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Thu Jun 24 07:51:18 EDT 2004

> > } So I don't think the derogatory comment is warranted at all.
> >
> > ...so, the comment does match.  I wasn't going to say anything; however,
> > I agree with you that it isn't warranted.  Actually, I would go so far
> > as to say that it doesn't belong there, since it is unprofessional and
> > is a blemish on an otherwise very fine product.  Politics doesn't
> > belong in software.  Even the FSF says you shouldn't desupport SCO
> > products since that would only hurt people that must use SCO products
> > for one reason or another.

OK, you have got to be kidding! Open Source Software (OSS) IS political by
its very nature and has been waging a political battle for about a decade
now.  Perhaps you should read a bit more from Eric S. Raymond or read about
Linus Torvald and GNU, etc.  Apologies to the dozens of other proponents of
OSS I am leaving off for the moment.

I know that myself, along with many others, have had my programs ridiculed
for being "inherently" unprofessional because they are free.  I have fought
the uphill battles in board rooms convincing publicly-traded firms to try
perl/apache/mysql/linux.  I've seen what can happen when you bid a job using
OSS and the Microsoft's of the world turn around and give their software at
10% of standard pricing just to land the deal.

That doesn't mean I'm anti-commerce either.  I am in the position many
people are in such as DFS and CanIT.  Using open source documents and
products to build the bottom-line of a company.  Personally, I like it and
none of my customers feel "locked" in and I don't feel grubby doing it.
There is always a balance and truly it's been a navigation by ear because
these are truly untested waters.

Anyway, I honestly can't believe you are nitpicking compile-time option and
documentation grammar on a free piece of software.  The heat to a person to
release a commercial product with a shareware version is just enormous and a
few jabs and humor in the source is more than professional.

Annoyed,
KAM