[Mimedefang] grammar nit

Jan Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 24 05:58:24 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 02:08:42AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> } Um, actually, their both wrong (spot the typo :)
>
>      Hmm, I've looked at this a number of times and don't see the
> problem unless you're referring to the comma, I generally do quite well

The problem was in my sentence. I should have written "they're", not
"their". Bad joke, maybe.

> } The SCO that is now sueing the world has little to do with the SCO that
> } released SCO unix (formerly XENIX).
>
>      The company that currently owns and distributes SCO Unix is
> currently named SCO (actually, The SCO Group, Inc.)...

Well, now it is, yes. But the current "SCO Group" only acquired that
piece of software from another company, now called Tarantella, that
used to be called "the Santa Cruz Operation" (or SCO, for short).

It is unclear to me what was exactly transferred during that deal.
Certainly the current "SCO" makes it look like they acquired the
entire "old SCO" company (http://www.caldera.com/company/history.html)
But there are other links that suggest only some licenses where
transferred:
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/SCO%20UNIX
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/SCO%20Group

hmm... looking through more googled links, I find on
http://www.tarantella.com/company/board/index.html
that at least one member of the current board of directors for tarantella
is also on the board of directors for the SCO group. So the link
between those companies is stronger than I thought.

Ugh... I never liked politics and legalese... :(

> } So I don't think the derogatory comment is warranted at all.
>
> ...so, the comment does match.  I wasn't going to say anything; however,
> I agree with you that it isn't warranted.  Actually, I would go so far
> as to say that it doesn't belong there, since it is unprofessional and
> is a blemish on an otherwise very fine product.  Politics doesn't
> belong in software.  Even the FSF says you shouldn't desupport SCO
> products since that would only hurt people that must use SCO products
> for one reason or another.

Well, technically, it's not desupported, currently, you just need
an additional compile time option :)

--
#!perl -wpl # mmfppfmpmmpp mmpffm <pmmppfmfpppppfmmmf at fpffmm4mmmpmfpmf.ppppmf>
$p=3-2*/[^\W\dmpf_]/i;s.[a-z]{$p}.vec($f=join('',$p-1?chr(sub{$_[0]*9+$_[1]*3+