[Mimedefang] Greylist DB addition fails silently?

-ray ray at ops.selu.edu
Wed Jun 23 12:25:59 EDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Paul Murphy wrote:

> I wrote a script to add an entry to the database.  It ran, and reported that it
> had successfully written the record, but on a search immediately afterwards, no
> record was found.  I changed the DB filename to /tmp/test, and it worked OK...
>
> Has anyone else seen problems in DB_File silently dropping inserted data?  I'm
> running Debian/Testing, kernel 2.4.26-1, libberkeleydb-perl 0.25.1, libdb4.1
> 4.1.25-17 (although 4.2.52-16 is also on the system) and Perl 5.8.3-3 on Intel.

Paul,

Yes i saw very similar problems when trying to implement greylisting using
Jonas' code.  I ended up NOT using greylisting because of this problem,
much to my dismay.  I wrote similar scripts to yours, and the insert
silently failed.  I assumed this was corruption in the DB_File.  I was
unable to find or write anything to check the consistency of the db.

I would remove the db and let is start collecting triples again.  After a
few 10-thousand records, it would get "corrupt" and stop adding data.  I
was unable to resolve the problem.... sorry i can't be more help.

ray