[Mimedefang] Spamassassin + Mimedefang + ClamAV

Florian Meister Florian.Meister at medienhaus.at
Wed Jun 23 09:20:08 EDT 2004

Hi !

We are a little internet-provider and I'm the postmaster of it.

We have 7 mailservers, 2 incoming (MX) two spoolers, and 2 outgoing for our customers. We have 1 Spamserver and one ClamAV-Server.

All machines are double-processor intel-xeon 2GHz with 2gb ram and sendmail on it.

Currently all incoming mail-servers are sending all mails < 20k to the spam-server via spamass-milter. But spamass-milter is very unstable and I'm planning to use another milter-interface to spamd.

MY question:

What is the best way to scan mail for viruses and spam in my case ?

If I use mimedefang on every mailserver, I have to run spamassassin on every machine, because mimedefang has no support for spamd.

If I run mimedefang on the spamserver and use a tcp-socket to connect to clamd I have a single-point-of failure (mimedefang) If mimedefang have a problem, I have no spam and no anti-virus functionality.

If I run mimedefang on the spamserver and on the anti-virus-server I have to define two sendmail-milter-sockets, what is no problem, but What is with the X-mimedefang headers ? ... they will be removed and replaced with the second x-mimedefang headers. And I have to run 2 separate configurations.

IS there better way to realise something like this ?

Thx, florian

Florian Meister

Systembetreuer für 1036hallo

Vorarlberger Medienhaus