[Mimedefang] OT: Sendmail greet_pause feature

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jun 22 12:11:51 EDT 2004

Am Di, den 22.06.2004 schrieb Jeff Grossman um 17:26:

> I just wanted to mention that Sendmail's new greet_pause feature in 8.13.0
> is doing pretty well.  I have already rejected a few connections because
> mail servers are sending data before they receive the now delayed SMTP
> greeting.

Yes, a nice feature - until the worm authors begin to respect such a
feature ;/
Btw. to which default value did you adjust the greet pause? I am
currently using 5000 milliseconds and that seems to be too less(?).

[I backported the feature to my current Sendmail 8.12]

> I have to read more about it, but it would be nice to have the ability to
> whitelist some ip's from the greeting delay.

That is already possible. Go on reading the documentation:

                If FEATURE(`access_db') is enabled, an access database
                lookup with the GreetPause tag is done using client
                hostname, domain, IP address, or subnet to determine the
                pause time:

                        GreetPause:my.domain    0
                        GreetPause:example.com  5000
                        GreetPause:10.1.2       2000
                        GreetPause:127.0.0.1    0

So disabling the greet pause for locally sent mails was my first step. It is important that you
call the greet_pause feature _after_ calling the access_db feature inside the sendmail.mc.

> Jeff

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 18:06:48 up 2 days, 23:54, load average: 1.29, 1.42, 1.51