SOCKETMAP performace (was Re: [Mimedefang] sendmail 8.13.0)

Martin Blapp mb at imp.ch
Mon Jun 21 19:20:01 EDT 2004

Hi,

> However, for LDAP, if establishing an LDAP connection is expensive, then
> using a persistent connection within MIMEDefang, plus SOCKETMAP for
> communication with Sendmail, might actually be faster than a native
> Sendmail LDAP map.

We don't use LDAP but have mysql as backend. First we had mysql support
directly in sendmail to check the recipient adresses. After we moved everything
to mimedefangs check_recipient(), the mysqld cpu usage dropped from 5%-10% down
to 0,1% - 0,5%. It is much cheaper to use an existing mysql connection than to
initiate each time a new one.

I guess the same will be true for LDAP.

Martin