[Mimedefang] Re: MD upgrade - how?

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Fri Jun 18 19:44:01 EDT 2004

On Sep 13,  5:16am, Andrzej Marecki wrote:
} Michal Szymanski asked:
}
} > What is the recommended way of upgrading MD?
}
} > So maybe I should just install the new one over the existing version,
} > saving local changes done in 'mimedefang-filter'?
}
} Secondly, since you might have customized /etc/init.d/mimedefang and
} /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter, do not compare these files with the ones in the
} new distribution but compare the ones in the new distribution with their old
} versions in the _original_ old distribution. Then update your customized old
} versions *by hand* towards including the new features. That's the way I do
} it since my (and probably everyone else's) mimedefang-filter is not so
} easily comparable with the templates furnished in the MD tarball.

     I save my mimedefang-filter file in a CVS repository.  I basically
use the methods mentioned here:
http://www.mewburn.net/luke/papers/3rdparty-and-cvs.html .  This allows
me to roll forward changes pretty much automatically.

}-- End of excerpt from Andrzej Marecki