[Mimedefang] Add Hebrew Support

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Jun 17 12:42:10 EDT 2004

David F. Skoll wrote:

 > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
 >

 >>I just had that discussion re: HAM / SPAM.  I vote we change it to kosher
 >>and non-kosher email ;-)
 >

 > Tecnically, "Kosher" and "Treif".  But I think ham/spam are too deeply
 > ingrained to be disloged.  :-) They're also single-syllable words.

You would be correct...

Additionally, Kosher comes from the work ka'sher (I think I have that in the
right spot) which means "permissable by jewish law" and I'm not sure what Jewish
law would have to say about SPAM... other than it's typically made from
non-kosher meat products... but what if spam was made from kosher beef? Would it
still be considered treif?

Hmmm... one for the Talmud scholars...

  -Ben

p.s. some additional definitions are:

old.jccc.net
-------------------------
Hebrew for "fit" or "proper." In Judaic culture, kosher refers to the proper
methods of food preparation and the dietary laws governing its consumption.
Kosher or non-kosher can refer to the very nature of certain foods, as well as
the various combinations thereof. For example, pork is not kosher and shellfish
is not kosher. Beef is kosher as long as the animal is slaughtered properly, and
cow's milk is kosher. But the mixing of meat and dairy products is never kosher.
"Keeping kosher" is important, not only because it would seem to address some
apparent health issues, but because certain foods are associated with certain
cultures (the goyim, or "the foreign nations"). Also, the mixing of certain
foods is not unlike a metaphor for cultural, ethnic and religious assimilation.
For the orthodox Jew, the experience of assimilation is like that of exile; it
is nothing short of a loss of identity.
http://www.brainydictionary.com/
-------------------------
(a.) Ceremonially clean, according to Jewish law; -- applied to food, esp. to
meat of animals slaughtered according to the requirements of Jewish law. Opposed
to tref. Hence, designating a shop, store, house, etc., where such food is sold
or used.
(n.) Kosher food; also, a kosher shop.
(v. t.) To prepare in conformity with the requirements of the Jewish law, as meat.
http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/kosher
-------------------------
Webster's 1913 Dictionary
Ko´sher
keep kosher, v. i..
a.	1.	Ceremonially clean, according to Jewish law; - applied to food, esp. to
meat of animals slaughtered according to the requirements of Jewish law. Opposed
to tref. For food to be officially kosher, it must be certified fit to eat by a
Rabbi, according to Jewish ritual law; as, kosher food.
	2.	Proper; seemly; appropriate; legitimate; as, it's not kosher to do it that way.
	3.	Genuine.
n.	1.	Kosher food; also, a kosher shop.
	2.	the practise of adherence to the Jewish ritual law; used mostly in the
phrase keep kosher
To adhere to the rules for eating only kosher food and handling it properly.
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Kashrut
-------------------------
Kashrut
The circled U indicates that this can of tuna is kosher

The laws of Kashrut ("keeping kosher") are the Jewish dietary laws. Food in
accord with Jewish law is termed kosher, from the Hebrew term kasher, meaning
"fit" (in this context, fit for human consumption). Food not in accord with
Jewish law is termed treifah or treif ("torn", originally used only for
unsuitable meat).

The basic laws of kashrut are in the Torah, their details explicated in the oral
law (the Mishnah and the Talmud) and codified by the later rabbinical
authorities. From the context of the laws in the Biblical book of Leviticus, the
purpose of kashrut is related to ritual purity and holiness.

Ok, I think that works... ;)

We are a funny bunch!