[Mimedefang] Add Hebrew Support

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Jun 17 11:26:04 EDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, rrr wrote:

> Every mail that have Hebrew subject the MIMEdefang tag it as SPAM email, the
> worst thing it's that the MIMEdefang change the hebrew characters in the
> subject to something like this:

In your SpamAssassin config file, set:

	ok_locales: all

so SpamAssassin doesn't get upset at Hebrew.

> If I remove this line from mimedefang-filter I get the Hebrew characters
> good, but I'm still getting this line in /var/log/maillog:

Perl on Red Hat 9 does not handle UTF-8 text very well.  I don't know
a way to fix it without turning off UTF-8 support altogether, which
is probably not an option for you.

My guess is that most spam is not written in Hebrew, and anyway,
SpamAssassin probably wouldn't catch any Hebrew spam.  Perhaps you could
modify your filter not to call SpamAssassin if the locale is Hebrew?

(Actually, the phrase "Hebrew spam" is quite ironic, considering what
SPAM-the-food is made from. :-))