[Mimedefang] clamav + spamassassin + virtual-domains for 500.000 mails a day

Florian Meister Florian.Meister at medienhaus.at
Thu Jun 17 04:14:47 EDT 2004

Hi!

I'm the mail-admin of a little internet-provider in austria.

We are using 4 mailservers (FreeeBSD 4.7 - 5.2 xeon 2x2GHz, 1GB RAM)
and one spamserver with the same configuration. On every machine
FreeBSD 4.7 - 5.2 is installed, depending of the age of the machine.
On the mailservers sendmail with libmilter, spamass-milter and spamc
is installed. On the spamserver there is a spamd running which gets
the requests of the mailservers.

I am planning to set up a clamav-server with the same configuration.

The problem: I haven't found a milter-interface that can do something like a pattern-matching for the to-address to scan only specific domains, because I don't know how much load I get on the clamav-server. Beside of that, I want to test the whole thing with a test-domain.

With MIME-defang it should be possible to use spamassassin and clamav over the same sendmail-milter-interface. Is it also possible to check for spam in every mail (excluding a few trusted networks), and to check for viruses only in a few domains (or to-addresses) ?

Is it possible to implement a LDAP-interface ?

How fast, performant and stable is mimedefang. I have problems with spamass-milter, it crashes every week.

Thx, flo

Florian Meister

Systembetreuer für 1036hallo

Vorarlberger Medienhaus