[Mimedefang] graphdefang on remote server

Chris Myers chris at by-design.net
Wed Jun 16 07:31:44 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steffen Kaiser" <skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 1:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] graphdefang on remote server

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Chris Gauch wrote:
>
> > So, my question is, is there a way to have graphdefang process a maillog
> > remotely so that my MIMEDefang server isn't brought to its knees even
>
> If you don't like to have syslog forward the messages to another server,
> how about rsync'ing the log file from the mail relay to the log generator,
> just before you call graphdefang?

That would work, too.  With rsync you take the CPU and I/O hit all at once
rather than spreading it out across the hour with syslog, but that would
still be a lot less load than graphdefang imposes.

To deal with clock sync issues, I would definitely suggest pulling the
logfile rather than pushing it.  It wouldn't be a good thing to be slightly
out of sync and copy the logfiles 27 seconds after graphdefang runs... :-)

Chris Myers
Networks By Design