[Mimedefang] graphdefang on remote server

Chris Myers chris at by-design.net
Tue Jun 15 19:42:31 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Gauch" <cgauch at digicon.net>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 5:48 PM
Subject: [Mimedefang] graphdefang on remote server

> [...] I'd like to be able to
> continue to run graphdefang hourly -- I am hoping that graphdefang has the
> ability process the maillog (remotely) from one of the many other Redhat
> Linux servers on the network that have light average CPU/memory loads.
>
> So, my question is, is there a way to have graphdefang process a maillog
> remotely [...] What's the best way to do this, and has anyone else
attempted
> this successfully?

Configure syslog to log messages from the mail facility to another host.

mail.*    /var/log/maillog
mail.*    @notsobusyhost.my.domain

Most syslog servers support this syntax.

On your notsobusyhost running Linux, edit /etc/sysconfig/syslog and change
the line SYSLOGD_OPTIONS so it includes "-r".  If you don't, the
notsobusyhost won't listen on the syslog network socket and all your log
messages will be lost.

Chris Myers
Networks By Design